Thomas C. Morris has been an outstanding source of legal counseling and guidance for more than 38 years. He spent the first 20 years of his legal career with Moffatt Thomas, one of the largest firms in Idaho. Mr. Morris left Moffatt Thomas in 2001 to help establish the Boise office of Perkins Coie, the largest firm in the Pacific Northwest. He further sharpened his legal and business skills by working from 2005 – 2009 as general counsel to a real estate development and home building company, where he assisted in the acquisition and development of more than $180,000,000 of property.
In 2009, Mr. Morris returned to the private practice of law with Belnap Stewart Taylor & Morris (now Morris Bower & Haws) and brought his extensive legal and business experience with him. Mr. Morris’ practice areas include real estate, business formations and consulting, trademarks and other intellectual property, and business litigation.
Among his peers, Mr. Morris is known for his professionalism, ethics, and legal ability earning an AV® Preeminent Peer Review rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest recognition in the legal industry.
Mr. Morris received both his undergraduate degree and his law degree from Brigham Young University. He has been active in his community, having served on the Boards of Directors for the American Red Cross of Southwest Idaho, Boy Scouts of America (Ore-Ida Council), Boise Metro Economic Development Council (Venture Capital Committee) and the BYU Management Society (Boise Chapter). He was a YMCA and AAU youth basketball coach for more than 8 years.
Mr. Morris has also been actively involved in leadership positions for various sections of the Idaho State Bar, including the Real Property Section, Business and Corporation Law Section and the Intellectual Property Law Section. He has lectured frequently to both attorneys and non-attorneys on a variety of legal topics including: “Difficult Issues for Business Lawyers – Intellectual Property,” Idaho State Bar (May 2002), “Trademarks, Tradenames and Domain Names,” Idaho State Bar Annual Meeting (July 2000), “Preserving and Protecting Intellectual Property,” Idaho Association of Paralegals (January 2000), “Idaho Practical Skills – Real Estate,” Idaho Law Foundation (April 1996, September 1996, April 1997). He has also spoken on estate planning (wills and trusts), probate, business entities and formation, limited liability companies, and various real estate topics.
Significant recent representation includes the following:
- Prepared loan documents for a $27,000,000 apartment complex development.
- Represented a real estate investment fund in the purchase of numerous commercial properties throughout the western United States.
- Represented various small businesses in the sale of those businesses, and investors in the purchase of similar small businesses, including an outdoor products manufacturer, dental practice, auto parts stores, software developer, seed grower and different franchise businesses.
- Successfully obtained and renewed numerous federally registered trademarks.
- Formed numerous new business entities (primarily limited liability companies, corporations and joint ventures.
- Represented clients in internal business and contract disputes.